The Catholic University of America


Information about  Certificate in European Studies Program


Who can enroll in the Certificate in European Studies?

-All undergraduate students at CUA interested in supplementing their major and minor areas of concentration with an additional concentration in European Studies.

Which students should be particularly interested in the CES?

-       Students interested in the culture, history and politics of Europe and the European Union and here especially students majoring in either History, Politics, Sociology, Art History, International Business, Media Studies or one of the languages of Europe.

-       However, the program is open to all undergraduate students, regardless of major and it might be of interest also to majors in Drama, Architecture, Music, Philosophy, etc.

-       Students with a minor in Politics, History, International Business, or one of the languages of Europe might want to supplement their studies by selecting courses that fulfill the requirements of the CES.

How can students attest their language proficiency?

-       By completing FREN, GER, ITAL, or SPAN 204 at CUA, or:

-       By passing the language placement exam and oral interview at the 204 level and providing a written confirmation certifying the result (usually completed by the language adviser), or:

-       By passing the language exam administered in the European countries with at least a B2/C1 proficiency in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)

What if a student is proficient in more than one of the languages of Europe other than English?

-       This is the ideal scenario! Every student interested in a career in Europe or in future graduate work in European Studies is strongly encouraged to learn at least two European languages!

What if a student was born in a European country and was raised speaking a European language other than English?

-       The student must demonstrate advanced proficiency in English, as well as his/her native tongue, and is highly encouraged (but not required) to acquire proficiency in another language of Europe.

Which study-abroad programs qualify for credit?

-       Before signing up for a study-abroad program, students must consult with the CES adviser to ensure that the program qualifies for credit.

-       The program must be completed in a European country and it must be a credit-based program.

-       Students are encouraged to study abroad for a semester or a summer program that spans over at least 3 weeks.

-       Travel in Europe does not qualify for academic credit, though it is, of course, highly encouraged!

What if a student is unable to study abroad?

-       If a student’s academic schedule, personal, or financial situation is prohibitive to enrolling in a study-abroad program, the student can petition to the CES advisers for an exception to the study-abroad requirement.

-       If the petition is approved, the student can supplement the study-abroad requirement with an internship related to a European country or the European Union.

-       The internship can be completed in Europe (which is the preferred option) or in a company or organization located in the US.

Are there any GPA requirements?

-       There are no GPA requirements, but note that in order to study abroad, students need to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8. Remember, study abroad is one of the requirements for the CES!

-       In order to be awarded with the Certificate in European Studies with Distinction, the students must graduate with an overall GPA of at least 3.2 and complete their senior project (thesis, exams, project) with a European focus.

Can a student transfer courses for the CES and are there limits?

-       Students can count courses completed at other academic institutions, in the Consortium, or during study abroad.

-       The language proficiency requirement can be met by means of courses completed in study abroad programs.

-       The four free electives can be comprised of courses taken off campus, either at other institutions, in the Consortium, or in study abroad programs, as long as the conditions for the courses are met (at least 2 outside of major area of concentration; courses must be from at least 2 different disciplines).

-       The 2 gateway courses (EURO 201 and 202/203) must be taken at CUA and cannot be transferred.

What are examples for a student’s academic plan that includes the CES?

-       Major in Politics/History/International Business & Minor in Fren/Ger/Ital/Span & CES

-       Major in Politics/History/International Business & Major in Fren/Ger/Span & CES

-       Major in History & Minor in Politics & CES

-       Major in Fren/Ger/Span & Minor in Politics/History/International Business & CES

-       You get the idea…